Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | RSS | More
Jason Colby (@jasoncolby2) author of Orca: How We Came to Know and Love the Ocean’s Greatest Predator on the history of humanity’s relationship with orcas – and his personal connection to the capture era.
“I refer to this sometimes as the unthinkable history of the Pacific North West.”
Skaana podcasts connect you to news and experts and their discussions about oceans, orcas and the environment.
You can use the affiliate links below to support the pod.
Join the Pod……https://www.patreon.com/skaana
Skaana Tip Jar… https://paypal.me/skaana
Skaana on iTunes… Skaana.ca
The Killer Whale Who Changed the World…. http://amzn.to/2pRNU1q
- Why Tilikum, SeaWorld’s Killer Orca, Was Infamous: https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/01/tilikum-seaworld-orca-killer-whale-dies/
- BC’s Pioneer Of Killer Whale Research: https://www.bcmag.ca/bcs-pioneer-of-killer-whale-research/
- Era of the Orca Cowboys: https://thetyee.ca/Life/2008/05/16/OrcaCowboys/
- From Machine Guns to Save-the-Whales: https://georgiastrait.org/2018/06/from-machine-guns-to-save-the-whales/
- They Shoot Orcas, Don’t They? File this under weird BC history. The harpooning of Moby Doll: https://thetyee.ca/Life/2008/05/13/ShootingOrcas/
- Sighting of rare giant basking shark in B.C. thrills scientists: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sighting-of-rare-giant-basking-shark-in-b-c-thrills-scientists-1.3618708
- PBS: Interview with Ted Griffin: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/whales/interviews/griffin.html
- YouTube: Breaching Basking Sharks | World’s Weirdest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsC61g36EqM
- YouTube: Ted Griffin taking a break while orca hunting in 1965: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7jcFR6xE_o
Support Our Guest
- Twitter: @JasonColby2
- Website: Dr. Jason Colby
Books on Amazon
**Amazon links are affiliate links and support our podcast, thanks for clicking!
- The Killer Whale Who Changed the World
- Orca: How We Came to Know and Love the Ocean’s Greatest Predator
- Song of the Whales, Nikos Fotiou: https://soundcloud.com/nickfotiu/song-of-the-whales
- “Namu” by The Dorsals With the Gatormen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4SNg0dIB7k