Skaana connects you to stories about oceans, eco-ethics and the environment.
- Join the Pod……https://www.patreon.com/mobydoll
- Apple Podcasts………www.skaana.ca
- The Orca Bites Podcast (on anchor) ………www.orcabites.com
- Skaana home……www.skaana.org
- Skaana on Medium……www.orcatales.com
- Our Latest Orca Videos…www.jpod.news
Support Joel Bakan
- Website: joelbakan.com
- Twitter: twitter.com/CorporationFilm
- The New Corporation: The Unfortunate Necessary Sequel : thenewcorporation.movie/
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCorporationFilm
Books on Amazon
**Amazon links are affiliate links and support our podcast, thanks for clicking!
- “This Note’s For You” by Neil Young
- 0:00– Intro
- 5:54– Where the original idea for The Corporation came from.
- 9:15– Why The Corporation unfortunately required a sequel 10 years later.
- 12:41– “This new movement on the part of corporations to be good, in the new film and in the book, we basically say that it’s very similar to the charm of the psychopath. You know, the first film we show that the corporation is a psychopath. One of the points in the second film is it’s found its charm.”
- 20:57– “We can’t ignore COVID, and not only can we not ignore COVID because it is a major event. But we can’t ignore COVID because it’s a major event that ties into every single theme that we look at in this film, both in terms of the difficulties and challenges of corporate power, and the way it corrodes society and democracy.”
- 25:35– How come corporations receive personhood and animals don’t?
- 38:15– “What the orcas don’t have is power and dominion over the human societies that do have power and dominion. In a way they’re victims of colonialism, an imposition of a legal system.”
- 41:09– Discussing the anthropocentric qualities of the legal system and laws.
- 45:17– The self-governance of corporations and what that means for the environment.
- 50:10– “Just speaking from a personal perspective, there’s really no point, in my view, in doing this kind of work if I don’t have hope. I mean, what’s the point in criticizing the world if you don’t believe that it can be changed?”
- 1:00:42– “This Note’s for You” by Neil Young