Global fisheries expert Daniel Pauly (@SeaAroundUs) on illegal fisheries, vanishing fish and the fight to save BC’s salmon with @Skaanapod host Mark Leiren-Young (@leirenyoung).
Skaana connects you to stories about oceans, eco-ethics and the environment.
- Join the Pod……https://www.patreon.com/mobydoll
- Apple Podcasts………www.skaana.ca
- The Orca Bites Podcast (on anchor) ………www.orcabites.com
- Skaana home……www.skaana.org
- Skaana on Medium……www.orcatales.com
- Our Latest Orca Videos…www.jpod.news
Image credit: Ms.Valentina Ruiz-Leotaud
More Information About Daniel Pauly
- Sea Around Us Profile
- SeaLifeBase – Fish Data Base
- UBC Profile
- Interview with The Tyee
- Interview with Watershed Sentinel
- Pauly’s Book Vanishing Fish: Shifting Baselines and the Future of Global Fisheries
- Exploring the Boundary Waters
Books on Amazon
**Amazon links are affiliate links and support our podcast, thanks for clicking!
- “I’s the B’y” Performed by Great Big Sea https://youtu.be/AQn-2xAlu7I
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmgg7VhBs9Z7iU0bmdrjxFw
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/0GxOdKrtD5oUmQROcCs8M4
- “Skana” – Leah Abramson https://youtu.be/CQr5BHW0k44
- Leah Abramson’s Website: http://www.leahabramson.com/
- 0:00– Intro
- 5:38– Defining “Shifting Baselines”
- 9:14– “The main reason why we need to study fisheries globally is because studying them at a local level doesn’t capture the dynamics…All the fish move, they don’t know borders.”
- 11:46– The globalization of fisheries and outsourcing to meet fish consumption.
- 14:15– What fish should we eat? And who’s fish are we eating?
- 20:12– The status of fish as meat and the role they play in our diets.
- 20:25– Fish were viewed as a package of healthy meat and not wild animals capable of feeling, capable of agency.
- 22:10– Do fish feel pain?
- 27:34– “The implication of our treatment of animals, the mass slaughtering of whales for example, is too horrible to contemplate. And so, we have coping mechanisms and denial is one of them.”
- 31:04– Japan and whaling.
- 34:00– On the Aquacolypse
- 36:08– Discussing fish stocks and biomass.
- 38:26– Canada’s errors in managing fish populations.
- 40:47– Bureaucracy, the DFO, and the politics of fisheries.
- 42:10– (In Canada) fish are seen as a commodity, rather than animals that can go extinct
- 44:35– Discussing the work of Alexandra Morton and her struggle to reveal the failures of the DFO.
- 52:03– “I think that the DFO has a two-fold mission that should never be imposed, on an agency. They have to both promote and control the aquaculture. And you can’t do both.”
- 54:04– Discussing FishBase and the thousands of fish that have been catalogued there.
- 59:28– Daniel Pauly’s childhood and his journey to becoming the world’s leading ichthyologist.
- 1:04:49– “I’s the B’y” Performed by Great Big Sea