Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | RSS
The Southern Resident Orcas Talk Trudeau
The Southern Resident Orcas do not have a voice in Canada’s federal election. We wanted to give them a chance to speak their truth. Here it is, with a little commentary from Mark Leiren-Young.
The Liberal Party Platform
Read the official Liberal Party Platform here: https://2019.liberal.ca/our-platform/?utm_source=2019.liberal.ca&utm_medium=platform-casgrain
The Liberals wish our friends at the Canadian Orca Rescue Society would stop carrying their adorable orca balloons at every West Coast protest and reminding voters about pipelines and bitumen. Justin Trudeau supporters also claim the prime minister was fond of dressing up as a Blackfish. Oops… that’s not in the official platform.
Officially… Team Trudeau boldly declares #whalelivesmatter.
“From coast to coast to coast, the health of Canada’s oceans matters—to the people whose livelihoods depend on them and to the marine species, including whales and commercial fishing stocks, that cannot exist without them.”
Someone in the PMO also finally read the Cohen report—or listened to the unsinkable Alexandra Morton—and are looking to “transition from open net pen salmon farming in coastal waters to closed containment systems by 2025”.
- Mark Leiren-Young: Orca policies and the Canadian election (https://www.straight.com/news/1313181/mark-leiren-young-orca-policies-and-canadian-election)
Skaana connects you to news and experts and their discussions about orcas, oceans and the environment.
You can use the affiliate links below to support the pod.
Join the Pod……https://www.patreon.com/skaana
The Killer Whale Who Changed the World…. http://amzn.to/2pRNU1q
Orcas Everywhere orcaseverwhere.com
A message from the producer Rayne Benu:
Decisions being made by our leaders over the next four years will change the course of history and could be the key factor in whether our Southern Residents survive and thrive.
I can’t tell you who to vote for this election.
I carry a deep sadness in my heart that none of the parties have any official policy on the Southern Residents. I have a longing in my soul for someone to stand up and represent the species that live here on our beautiful planet, that do not have a voice. Many people and organizations are willing to stand up and use the images of the orcas when it’s convenient for them to make a political point, or to sell an idea, but when it comes down to the fundamental truths that they live by, forget to mention the Orcas in their policies, core platforms and overall vision.
If a party had a policy or had even mentioned the SROs in their platforms, that is who I would be championing.
With the federal election, and what’s happening down south, it’s hard not to feel discouraged by it all. I look around and there’s a lot public mudslinging, so much it’s getting hard to see the actual people with all the mud on their faces (ok, some of that is probably just the brown-face….)
I worry a lot about how partisan we are all getting – how tribal and us vs them things can be.
I encourage you with all my heart to ask good questions of the individuals involved right now, instead of throwing more mud.
I know you have a million things to do this week, but I want to encourage you to take a moment to try to meet or get to know something about the person you’re considering voting for in your riding. There’s still time.
Are they someone you could talk to or bring concerns to? Do they want to serve the people, or is running for office an ego trip? Do their volunteers like them? Is the campaign office a positive and welcoming place to be? How do they work with others? Are they integral? Honest? Clear on their objectives? Are they kind?
Because if you can have a conversation, there’s room to grow. No matter which party wins the election, your representative is there for you, and we all better make sure that they care about their communities. You are the only voice in this election that the Southern Residents have.
Please use your voice responsibly, and consider those who can not speak and whose family, culture and future are on the line this election.
- Orcas on Scheer: Orcas Throw Shade at Scheer https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/orcas-on-scheer-orcas-throw-shade-at-scheer-conservatives/id1232220512?i=1000454012440
- Orcas on Singh: JPod Talks Tea about the NDP https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/orcas-on-singh-orcas-talk-tea-about-the-ndp/id1232220512?i=1000454113655
- Orcas on May: Southern Residents Greensplain the Election https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/orcas-on-may-southern-residents-greensplain-the-election/id1232220512?i=1000454213507
- The Canadian Orca Rescue Society https://www.orcarescue.com/
- The Hundred-Year-Old Whale https://vimeo.com/ondemand/thehundredyearoldwhale
- Support us on Patreon for amazing exclusive content https://www.patreon.com/mobydoll
Books on Amazon
**Amazon links are affiliate links and support our podcast, thanks for clicking!
- The Killer Whale Who Changed the World http://amzn.to/2sISiOa
- Orcas Everywhere: The Mystery and History of Killer Whales https://amzn.to/35CNu0k
- Song of the Whales, Nikos Fotiou: https://soundcloud.com/nickfotiu/song-of-the-whales
The post Orcas on Trudeau: The Southern Residents Dish Dirt on Canada’s Federal Election appeared first on MLY.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | RSS | More