Author, broadcaster and activist Melody Horrill (The Dolphin Who Saved Me) talks about saving the Port River dolphins and how a dolphin named Jock saved her with Skaana host Mark Leiren-Young (author of Sharks Forever & Orcas Everywhere). “Dolphins do have a special place in our hearts… They help us connect to the water and the natural world.”
5:10 Meet the Port River dolphins. And find out why they’re in trouble.
10:20 “I made it my single-minded mission to let everyone know in South Australia that these dolphins existed. They’re here.”
11:10 “They do have a special place in our hearts… They help us connect I think to the water and the natural world.”
11:50 On the Port River becoming a dolphin sanctuary and how her documentary helped change minds and laws.
15:23 Is the sanctuary really dolphin-friendly?
15:46 The first time she saw a dolphin.
16:51 Meeting Jock.
19:35 “Little did I know at that time that Jock would end up being my best friend. And lead me out of a place that I didn’t think was possible. Immediately I just felt this connection to this solitary dolphin. He was by himself… he just seemed adrift and alone. So from my perspective it was this instant recognition of another being that I felt compassion for and a connection with.”
22:20 “He accepted me in a way that I’d never been accepted in my life before.”
24:20 “He taught me a lot about forgiveness.”
25:07 “He forced me to live in the moment… we’re not feeding him, we’re not enticing him. There’s no other reason for him to hang out with me other than he just wants to. How mind-blowing is that?… It made me realize love was possible.”
26:00 Helping Jock meet and interact with other dolphins. “He taught me about courage.”
29:59 “We really tried to keep his friendliness quiet.” Jock following her boat.
32:34 Connecting with Jane Goodall and the Jane Goodall Institute.
Skaana podcasts connect you to news and experts and their discussions about environments, oceans, and orcas.
- Join the Pod……https://www.patreon.com/mobydoll
- Subscribe to the Skaana newsletter: https://substack.com/@skaanapod?utm_source=profile-page
- Apple Podcasts………www.skaana.ca
- The Orca Bites Podcast (on anchor)………www.orcabites.com
- Skaana home……www.skaana.org
- Skaana on Medium……www.orcatales.com
- Our Latest Orca Videos…www.jpod.news
- Melody Horrill with the perfect beach book!
Support Our Guest
Books for sale and Classes from Team Skaana
**Amazon links are affiliate links and support our podcast, thanks for clicking!**
- Sharks Forever by Mark Leiren-Young
- Audio books by Mark Leiren-Young (Killer Whale Who Changed the World, Orcas Everywhere & Never Shoot a Stampede Queen) on Audible.com https://www.audible.com/search?searchNarrator=Mark+Leiren-Young
- The Killer Whale Who Changed the World… http://amzn.to/2pRNU1q
- Orcas Everywhere; Orcas of the Salish Sea & Big Whales, Small World: http://www.orcaseverywhere.com
- Paint the Ocean You Wish to See with Rayne Ellycrys Benu… https://orcapaint.net
- The Force of Doubt by Rayne Ellycrys Benu… https://books2read.com/forceofdoubt